Changing the Fiscal Year End date using a short year

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Internal Employees: Submit feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

Important reminder!

Licenses for Payroll CS, Trial Balance CS, and Write-Up CS (but not Engagement CS) permanently expired on March 1, 2017. CSA will not include 2017 tax rates or payroll forms, so, for 2017 and beyond, you will need to process payroll in another application. We recommend Accounting CS Payroll and myPay Solutions. For more information, see the following topics.

Suppose that a client wants to change their fiscal year end date from March 2009 to December 2008 by means of a short year.

  1. Complete the client's processing to the end of the short year (12/31/08 in this example).
  2. Run all necessary reports.
  3. Make a backup of the client's information. Note that this backup should be considered an end-of-year backup.
  4. Choose File > Select Period to Process and select January 2009.
  5. Choose File > Client Properties and click the General Ledger tab.
  6. Click the Change fiscal year end date button.
  7. Enter 12/31/09 in the New fiscal year end field on the Change fiscal year end date dialog.
  8. Click the Continue button. This will automatically take you through a year end close to obtain the proper beginning balances for the new year.
  9. Process the rest of the client's year as usual.

Note: You will not be able to run short-year financial statements or trial balance reports for the previous year. Comparative amounts, however, will be available.

Share This