Correcting 1099 forms

Alerts and notices

Important reminder!

Product support for Engagement CS is ending on September 30, 2020. See Engagement CS license expiration 2020 - frequently asked questions for more information.

Licenses for Payroll CS, Trial Balance CS, and Write-Up CS permanently expired on March 1, 2017.

Some processes documented in the Help & How-To Center are no longer applicable, due to the discontinuation of Creative Solutions Accounting.

CSA provides a way to correct and resubmit 1099s. If you have submitted an incorrect 1099 form, follow these steps to create an amended 1099.

  1. Choose Utilities > 1099 Form Processing > Corrected 1099. Choose the appropriate year for the 1099 you want to correct and the 1099 type for the corrected form.
  2. In the 1099 Corrected Form Processing dialog, choose either the Print all vendors/employees option or the Print selected vendors/employees option. Print selected vendors/employees will display the list of vendors in the Vendor Selection grid, where you can specify which you want to print by moving them to the right-hand pane.
  3. Click the Vendor Information tab. Retrieve information for each vendor or employee, either one at a time (by clicking the Retrieve button when a vendor is selected) or all at once (by choosing File > Retrieve All).
  4. Override and replace any incorrect information in the grid for each vendor. You can move from one vendor to the next or the previous by using the Vendor navigation buttons.
  5. Mark the checkboxes to the left of only the information that required you to correct the 1099. CSA handles the corrected form based on the reason for the correction and it determines the cause based on which checkboxes are marked.

    Note: All overrides in the Previously reported column and the Corrected column will flow to the appropriate forms and 1099 files, whether or not the checkbox is marked.

  6. If a 1099 was filed on the wrong form type, select the form type originally filed in error from the Originally filed wrong type of return drop-down list.

    Example: If you filed a 1099-DIV instead of a 1099-INT, start by editing the vendor in the year affected and entering the correct 1099-INT item(s) and amounts. Next, choose Utilities > 1099 Form Processing > Corrected 1099 > year > 1099-INT. In the 1099 Corrected Form Processing dialog, select 1099-DIV from the Originally filed wrong type of return drop-down list.

    Note: CSA supports both paper and electronic correction of 1099s for all types of errors, with one exception. For incorrectly filed form types, CSA supports only corrections filed on paper. The IRS will accept paper corrections even if the original 1099s were submitted electronically.

  7. Click the Form Selection tab and mark the checkboxes for the copies you want to print. As with regular 1099 processing, mark the Create corrected 1099 file checkbox if you want to create corrected 1099 files.
  8. Click the Print button to print the corrected 1099 forms and/or create the corrected 1099 files.

See also

1099 Corrected Form Processing dialog

W-2 and 1099 year end processing overview

Share This