Licenses for Payroll CS, Trial Balance CS, and Write-Up CS (but not Engagement CS) permanently expired on March 1, 2017. CSA will not include 2017 tax rates or payroll forms, so, for 2017 and beyond, you will need to process payroll in another application. We recommend Accounting CS Payroll and myPay Solutions. For more information, see the following topics.
If you need to delete an existing department, please complete all of the following steps to ensure that no check records point back to that department for any employee and that no employee records include earnings, withholding, or deduction amounts for that department.
All employees must be assigned to at least one department, so if you intend to delete a department you may need to add a new department before continuing. Choose Setup > Payroll Departments.
Complete steps 1-5 below for each employee associated with the department you wish to delete
- If there are printed, handwritten, or unprinted checks in any payroll period for an employee who was assigned to the department you want to delete, you need to first void or delete those check records. (Do not choose the Void and Duplicate option.) Please be aware that you may need to revert to previous periods to do this.
- In the Setup > Employees window, review the record for each employee assigned to the department you want to delete, and make the following modifications as necessary:
Click the Earnings tab and verify that no earnings amounts appear for the department to be deleted. (If the employee is assigned to multiple departments and Department X is not the Home department, you must select the department to be deleted from the drop-down list to see whether the employee has any earnings associated with that department.)
If there are any earnings, withholding, or deduction amounts, you may have missed voiding a check for the employee or you may have manually entered earnings information for the selected employee. Repeat Step 1 above and void the employee's check(s) from the current and/or prior payroll periods, and then open the Earnings History dialog (accessible from the Edit menu when the Employees window) and zero out any remaining hours and amounts for the department to be deleted.
- In the General tab of the Setup > Employees window, click the Edit Departments button.
- In the Edit Employee Departments dialog, select the department(s) to which the employee should be assigned, and clear the department you wish to delete. Click the OK button to close the dialog.
- In the Employees window, click the Enter button to save any changes you have made for the employee.
After you have completed steps 1-5 above for all affected employees
You may now delete the department without any ramifications. Choose Setup > Payroll Departments, highlight the department, and the click the Delete button.