- Alerts and notices
Check out the trending topics below or search for an answer.
- WebEx Support Center for CS remote sessions
- Obtaining your CPE Certificate(s) via the My Account page
- Practice CS: Current information and alerts
- Practice CS user bulletins
- Multi-factor authentication overview
- Multi-factor authentication - common questions for setup and implementation
- Managing your license PIN
- Time & Expense Entry overview
- Video library
- Getting started
- Contact us
- Leave feedback
Internal Employees: Submit feedback using the new SharePoint request form
Note: Additional information about entering receipts can be found in the Practice CS Accounts Receivable WalkThrough.
To enter payments received from your firm’s clients, follow these steps.
- Choose Actions > Receipt & Adjustment Entry (or press CTRL+R) to open the Receipt & Adjustment Entry screen.
- If necessary, click the Entry tab.
- Click the button next to the Control Date field and select the appropriate date.
- In the Bank Account field, choose the account to which the payment will be deposited in the next open row.
Note: You can either click the button or press F4 to open the drop-down list in this field and similar fields.
- Enter the date of the receipt in the Date field.
- In the Client field, choose the appropriate client from the list.
- In the Type field, indicate the method of payment:
- ACH: Electronic Funds Transfer
- CA: Cash
- CC: Credit Card
- CHK: Check
- In the Ref Number field, enter the check number or other reference, if applicable.
- In the Amount field, enter the amount of the receipt, and press Enter.
- Depending on the payment type that you selected, do one of the following:
- If you select ACH, the Choose bank account for Client < client ID > dialog opens. Select the client’s bank account from the Choose bank account drop-down list, and click OK.
- If you select CA (Cash) or CHK (Check) for the receipt type, the Applied Amounts dialog opens, where you can determine how the payment is applied to the client’s outstanding invoices. Go to the next step.
- If you select CC (Credit Card), the Choose credit card for Client < client ID > dialog opens.
- If a credit card is on file, select it from the Choose credit card drop-down list.
- If there is no credit card on file, select Manual entry/swipe from the drop-down list. When prompted, log in to CS Payment. Enter the credit card information, and click the Continue button. Verify that the information you entered is correct, and click the Submit Payment button. Click the Close button to exit CS Payment.
Note: Using a Magtek USB credit card reader will auto fill all required fields when the card is swiped. Models 21040147, 21040145, 21040107, and 21040108 are keyboard emulators and are the recommended models.
- In the Applied Amounts dialog, you can use the Applied field to enter the amount to be applied to each outstanding invoice, or click the Auto Apply button to apply the payment automatically to the oldest invoices first, moving forward until it has been fully applied or until there are no other invoices to which it can be applied. Click OK when finished.
For more information on this dialog, see Using the Applied Amounts dialog.
- If desired, enter a comment related to the payment in the Comment field. You can either click the button next to the field to open the Comment dialog, or begin typing in the field. When your entry exceeds the length of the field displayed on the Receipts tab, the Comment dialog opens automatically.
In the Comment dialog, you can enter whatever text you wish, insert standard text and variable dates, and check spelling. Click OK when finished.
- You can apply all open credits for all clients to outstanding debit items using a simple right-click command. Details.
- For credit card payments processed via CS Payment, a status icon appears to the left of the receipt transaction: (Accepted), (Pending), or (Declined, or Error). Right-click the icon and choose View Results from the context menu for more information. Or, right-click the icon and choose Resubmit Credit Card to try again.
- If you are using InterceptEFT to process a credit card transaction and experience a communication error, you will not receive a response from InterceptEFT. If this occurs, you will need to call InterceptEFT or log in to the InterceptEFT website to check the status of the transaction. See Resolving communication issues with InterceptEFT for more information.
Disclaimer: InterceptEFT is an unaffiliated third party that some of our customers have engaged to provide direct deposit, tax payments, ACH processing, or credit card merchant services.
- Credit card receipts (entered as CC in the Type field) cannot be deleted after the charge has been processed successfully by InterceptEFT. To reverse the charge, enter an adjustment in the Adjustments subtab, selecting CCR in the Type field. The return must then be processed by InterceptEFT.
- To print a receipt for a successful credit card transaction, right-click the transaction and choose Print Credit Card Receipt from the context menu. The receipt prints to the printer you last used from Practice CS.
Related topic: Receipt & adjustment entry overview