- Alerts and notices
Check out the trending topics below or search for an answer.
- Getting started
- Contact us
- Leave feedback
Internal Employees: Submit feedback using the new SharePoint request form
Use the Engagements tab of the Clients screen to add or modify engagements for the selected client.
To access the Engagements tab, choose Setup > Clients and click the Engagements tab.
Adding an engagement for a client
Tip: You can quickly add multiple engagements to one or more clients using the Edit Multiple Clients dialog. To access the dialog, click the Edit multiple Clients link at the bottom of the screen
- From the Setup menu, choose Clients.
- In the Clients screen, click the client for which you want to add an engagement.
Note: If you are setting up a new client, first click the Add button and complete the client information on the Main tab.
- Click the Engagements tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Click the Add button at the bottom of the Engagements tab.
- In the ID field, select an engagement template ID from the drop-down list (required).
Note: The templates in this list come from the Engagement Templates setup screen (Setup > Engagement Templates). If you have security permission, you can right-click in this list and use the context menu to add, edit, or delete an engagement template.
- Enter a description for this engagement in the Description field.
- If you want to export general ledger information to CS Professional Suite Accounting Products, enter the appropriate GL number in the GL Account field.
Note: Currently, the general ledger export process only allows for account numbers of 11 characters or fewer.
- If your firm assesses tax, select a Tax Area from the drop-down list.
- Under Groupings, select the office, category, and assigned staff for the engagement. These groupings are useful for filtering engagement lists and for report grouping.
Note: If you mark an engagement as Inactive for a client (in the Status field), you cannot create new time entries for the client using that engagement. If WIP exists for the engagement, however, it will still be available for billing and will appear on reports.
- Click the Rates sub-tab of the Engagements tab.
- Select an engagement rate for the current client from the following options.
- No Engagement Rate: The default rate for new engagements. If you choose this option, the application will use the rate from the activity instead of the engagement.
- Staff rate: When you click the Staff Rate option, you must also choose a staff rate from the corresponding drop-down list.
- Fixed rate: If you click the Fixed Rate option, enter a dollar amount in the corresponding field (or click the Down arrow button and enter the number on the drop-down calculator).
- Markup/down factor: You can enter an optional markup or markdown factor for the engagement.
Example: If you want to mark up the engagement 50%, enter 1.5.
Note: The rates selected for engagements take precedence over the rate settings for activities when entering time and expenses.
If an engagement occurs on a regular basis for the client, you can set it up as a recurring bill.
- Click the Recurring Bills sub-tab of the Engagements tab.
- Description: Select a description for the recurring bill from the drop-down list.
Note: Descriptions in this list are entered in Setup > Recurring Bill Descriptions. You can also right-click the list to add, edit, or delete items if you have security permission.
- Method: The available methods for handling WIP when a recurring bill is generated are:
- Amount: Enter the amount of the recurring bill. This field is not available when you choose WIP at Standard.
- Staff: Select the staff associated with the recurring bill. This field is available only when you select the Progress or the Adjustment method.
- Activity: Select the activity associated with the recurring bill. This field is available only when you select the Progress or the Adjustment method.
SurchargesIf your firm adds a surcharge for this engagement, click the Surcharges subtab of the Engagements tab and choose from the following options:
- No Surcharge: This option is the default for new engagements.
- Based on Activity: If you choose this option, the engagement uses the surcharge set up on the activity.
- Flat amount: If you select this option, enter or select a surcharge amount in the drop-down list.
Click the Links tab to add links to files, websites, or documents outside of Practice CS, including documents stored in FileCabinet CS or GoFileRoom.
The links you add to a client engagement apply only to the engagement to which you add them. You can also add links to engagement templates, which apply to all new engagements generated from that template.
Use the Custom Fields tab to enter additional information for the engagement in the available fields (if any). Custom fields can be checkboxes, dates, lists, numeric fields, staff lists, or text-entry fields. Custom fields for dates have a drop-down calendar. Numeric custom fields have a drop-down calculator. See Custom fields setup overview for more information on custom fields.
Modifying an engagement for a client
- In the list of engagements, click the engagement you want to modify.
- Click the Edit button.
- Make the necessary changes to the engagement information, groupings, rates, recurring bills, and/or surcharges.
Note: If you change the engagement template ID of an existing client engagement by selecting a different ID from the drop-down list, the client’s engagement ID will be changed, but the information from the template will not be copied in. Information from an engagement template is only copied into a client’s engagement for new engagements.
- Click the Enter button to save your changes.