- Alerts and notices
Check out the trending topics below or search for an answer.
- Getting started
- Contact us
- Leave feedback
Internal Employees: Submit feedback using the new SharePoint request form
Note: The Backup command is not available for users running Practice CS through Virtual Office CS or Software as a Service (SaaS). Data is backed up automatically on the servers that host your data.
Use the Backup Firm dialog to back up a firm database. The backup is performed on the firm database you currently have open. If you want to back up a different database, choose File > Open Firm and select the database you want to back up.
- If you have the appropriate security rights, you can schedule recurring backups of your database. See Scheduling a backup of your data for more information.
- Third-party backup applications will not back up Microsoft SQL Server or SQL Server Express Edition data while the SQL Server Service is running. For this reason, the data cannot be backed up automatically from outside SQL Server. Therefore, you must either use this Practice CS backup procedure or schedule a recurring backup before running the third-party backup procedure.
Backing up your data
- From the File menu in Practice CS, choose Backup.
- In the Backup file field, enter the path and file name for the backup file, or click the More button and navigate to the desired location.
Note: The backup file will be created on the computer where the data resides. The path specified here must be a valid path on that computer.
- Do one of the following:
- To create the backup now, click OK. When prompted that the backup is complete, click OK.
- To schedule recurring backups on a specific day and time, click the Schedule a recurring backup link. Details.
- Copy the backup file from the location specified in the backup dialog to another computer, backup tape, removable hard drive, or other storage media, or to a location that will be backed up by your third-party backup application.
- When you make a new backup of a database, the application does not overwrite any existing backups. Each backup file name includes a date / time stamp.
- Backup files stay on the computer until you manually delete them in Windows Explorer.