An acceptable substitute to Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets may be attached to Form 8453 in lieu of reporting each transaction separately in the Schedule for detail statement dialog in Screen B&D. If you choose to submit an acceptable substitute in lieu of entering each transaction separately, UltraTax CS prints Form 8453 with the return. To do so, perform the following steps.
- Enter code 1 Yes (in ERO's possession) or code 3 Yes (in taxpayer's possession) in the Form 8949 or similar statement field in Screen 8453.
- In the Desc column of the Schedule for detail statement dialog in Screen B&D, enter See attached followed by any additional descriptive text associating this statement dialog entry with a specific Schedule D-1 substitute.
Note: See statement or See stmnt are also accepted entries in the Desc column in Screen B&D.
- Enter Various in the Date Acq'd and Date Sold columns.
- Enter code 1 (short-term) or 2 (long-term) in the Force column to differentiate between short-term and long-term transactions.
- After you print the return, attach the Form 8949 substitute to Form 8453 for transmittal to the appropriate IRS service center.