1040-US ELF: Sending payment by mail for electronically filed extension balance due (FAQ)

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Internal Employees: Submit feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

Change to CS Support service hours

Our Support department is closed on [[date]]. However, limited UltraTax CS phone support is available on that date from 9 AM - 5 PM ET due to the approaching deadline.

Links to our most popular tax processing topics are available in the Alerts and notices section on the right side of most pages.


If I electronically file the taxpayer's extension, can the taxpayer send a payment by mail?


Yes. If the taxpayer wants to pay by check or money order, they can do so even if the extension was filed electronically. Per Form 4868 instructions, "If you e-file Form 4868 and mail a check or money order to the IRS for payment, use a completed paper Form 4868 as a voucher."

Related topic: 1040-US ELF: Electronic filing FAQs

Share This