1040-US: Enter distribution from an IRA that was rolled over into another IRA

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Internal Employees: Submit feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

Change to CS Support service hours

Our Support department is closed on [[date]]. However, limited UltraTax CS phone support is available on that date from 9 AM - 5 PM ET due to the approaching deadline.

Links to our most popular tax processing topics are available in the Alerts and notices section on the right side of most pages.


I have a client who received a distribution from an IRA that was rolled over into another IRA. How do I report this?


  1. In Screen 1099R, enter the total distribution amount in the Gross distribution and Taxable amount fields.
  2. Enter the applicable distribution code in the Distribution code field, and enter X in the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE field.
  3. Enter the amount of the total distribution rolled over in the Amount of rollover field.

    UltraTax CS shows the total distribution amount on Form 1040, line 15a, and calculates the taxable amount (if any) after rollover on Form 1040, line 15b. The text "ROLLOVER" prints to the left of the line.

Related topic: Individual retirement account FAQs (1040)

Share This