1040-US: Entering Roth IRA distributions, conversions, or recharacterizations

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Internal Employees: Submit feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

Change to CS Support service hours

Our Support department is closed on [[date]]. However, limited UltraTax CS phone support is available on that date from 9 AM - 5 PM ET due to the approaching deadline.

Links to our most popular tax processing topics are available in the Alerts and notices section on the right side of most pages.


What are the general reporting requirements for Roth IRA distributions, conversions, or recharacterizations?


Refer to Form 1099-R, Form 5498, and Form 8606 instructions, and IRS Publications 590-A and 590-B for exact reporting requirements. In addition, IRS Notices 98-50 and 1998-39 I.R.B. provide additional information about Roth IRA distributions, contributions, and recharacterizations.

In general, from the 2017 Form 1099-R instructions:

Related topic: Individual retirement account FAQs (1040)

Share This