1040-US: Entering unused housing allowance income

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Internal Employees: Submit feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

Change to CS Support service hours

Our Support department is closed on [[date]]. However, limited UltraTax CS phone support is available on that date from 9 AM - 5 PM ET due to the approaching deadline.

Links to our most popular tax processing topics are available in the Alerts and notices section on the right side of most pages.


How do I enter unused housing allowance income?


Per IRS Publication 517, when housing allowances are not included on Form W-2, Box 1, and amounts received were greater than actual costs, report the excess on Form 1040, line 7.

Enter the total housing allowance received in Screen W2, Box 14, or if not reported on Form W-2, enter the total in the Parsonage or Allowance Housing Information section in Screen Clergy, located in the Taxes folder. Amounts entered in the Fair rental value of parsonage provided by church field transfer to Clergy Worksheet 1, line 3a. Amounts entered in the Parsonage allowance (Force) field transfer to Clergy Worksheet 1, line 4a. Excess housing allowance is calculated on Clergy Worksheet 1, line 4i. Excess utilities allowance is calculated on Clergy Worksheet 1, line 3e. Excess allowance is transferred to Form 1040, line 7.

Related topic: Minister wages and church employee income FAQs (1040)

Share This