1040-US: Form 1040X for a resident or nonresident alien

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:


How do I file an amended return for a resident or nonresident alien who filed Form 1040NR?


Per the Form 1040X instructions, to amend Form 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ or to file the correct return, the following steps must be taken.

  • Enter the name, current address and SSN or ITIN on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Do not enter any other information on page 1 and leave Parts I and II blank on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter the reason for filing Form 1040X in Part III.
  • Complete a new or corrected return (e.g. Form 1040, Form 1040NR).
  • Write "Amended" across the top of the new or corrected return and attach to the back of Form 1040X.

Note: To populate the above information, follow the steps in Completing amended returns in UltraTax CS (1040) while in the 1040NR client. All applicable fields will automatically generate on Form 1040X and 1040NR in accordance with the form instructions.

For more information, refer to IRS Publication 519: U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

Related topic: 1040X - Amended return FAQs.

Share This