- Alerts and notices
Check out the trending topics below or search for an answer.
- Getting started
- Contact us
- Leave feedback
Internal Employees: Submit feedback using the new SharePoint request form
Practice CS calculates service tax and sales tax by checking the following items for each billed entry.
- If the engagement is not assigned to a tax area, no tax is calculated.
- If the engagement is assigned to a tax area, go to step 2.
Note: Tax areas are assigned to engagements in the Clients screen (Setup > Clients > Engagements tab).
- If the activity is not set up to have service tax or sales tax charged, no tax is calculated.
- If the activity is set up for service and/or sales taxes, go to step 3.
Note: Activities are assigned taxes by marking the Tax calculation checkboxes in the Activities setup screen (Setup > Activities).
- The application identifies the tax area assigned to the engagement and multiplies the billed amount of the entry by all service and/or sales type taxing authority rates assigned to the tax area.
Note: The billed amount takes into account any discounts or surcharges before taxes are applied. Discounts are distributed proportionately among the billed entries. For example, if the total billed is $500 and you enter a discount of $50, then each entry’s taxable billed amount is decreased by 10%. Surcharges are also applied proportionately to the taxable billed amount if the surcharge is a fixed amount. However, if the surcharge is based on the activity, then tax is applied at the entry level depending on whether or not the activity is taxable.