- Alerts and notices
Check out the trending topics below or search for an answer.
- Getting started
- Contact us
- Leave feedback
Internal Employees: Submit feedback using the new SharePoint request form
Use the Main tab of the Client setup screen to store the client’s name, ID, tax IDs, and Social Security number. You can track the client’s status (active or inactive), the dates you won and/or lost the client, and fiscal year end. You can also assign the client to Groupings such as office, entity, industry code, and assigned staff, for filtering the client list and creating analytical reports.
Adding a client
- From the Setup menu, choose Clients. The Clients setup screen opens with the Main tab selected.
- Click the Add button.
- In the ID field, enter a unique alphanumeric ID for the client (required). The ID will be saved as upper case regardless of how you enter it.
- In the Sort field, enter a sort name for the client (required). This name is used to sort the employee in lists and reports, and is the name that will appear in lists elsewhere in Practice CS.
- In the Name 1 field, enter the name of the company if the client is a non-individual. If the client is an individual, use this field to enter the client’s display name. Use the Name 2 field for any client, if needed.
- Enter information in the First Name, Last Name, and Date of Birth fields if the client is an individual.
- If applicable, enter the Spouse first name, last name, date of birth and SSN.
Note: When you enter a spouse SSN in Practice CS that matches a spouse SSN of an UltraTax CS 1040 client that is setup as Married filing joint or Married filing separate, Practice CS will prompt you via a Data Sharing dialog to accept the spouse’s first and last names and birthdates from UltraTax CS. You can then choose to accept or postpone the indicated changes.
- In the Class field, select Client or Prospect.
Note: If you select Administrative, you will only be able to enter activities for this client that are assigned to the Administrative activity class. For example, you can create a default "firm client" for entering time spent performing administrative tasks, and only administrative activities can be entered for that client.
- In the Status field, the default for a new client is Active. Active clients are available for all processes in the application. Inactive clients are not available for entry on the Time & Expense Entry screen.
- In the Start field, select the date your firm began doing business with the client.
- The Left field is for indicating the date your firm stops doing business with a client. For a new client, leave this field blank.
- If you enter a date in this field, the client will be unavailable for entry on the Time & Expense Entry screen.
- If this client has subsidiary clients (clients that bill to this client), you cannot enter a Left date here until you remove this client as the parent client. Details
- In the FYE field, select the month of the client’s fiscal year end.
- In the WIP Limit field, enter a dollar amount for maximum outstanding WIP for the client.
- In the A/R Limit field, enter a dollar amount for maximum outstanding receipts for the client.
- Under Groupings, select the client’s office, partner, manager, associate, entity, and industry code. These groupings are useful for filtering the client list and creating client reports.
Note: Items in these drop-down lists come from information entered in the Groupings setup screen (Setup > Groupings). If you have security privileges to edit Groupings, you can quickly edit these lists by right-clicking in the field and choosing Add, Edit, or Delete from the context menu.
- Click the Enter button to save the information.