Reporting section 121 exclusion on the sale of a personal residence (1041)

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Internal Employees: Submit feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

Change to CS Support service hours

Our Support department is closed on [[date]]. However, limited UltraTax CS phone support is available on that date from 9 AM - 5 PM ET due to the approaching deadline.

Links to our most popular tax processing topics are available in the Alerts and notices section on the right side of most pages.

Use the following procedure to report the sale of a personal residence with a section 121 exclusion for an estate/trust.

  1. On Screen Income in the Income folder, click the statement button for the Capital gains or (losses) field.
  2. Enter the sale information for the personal residence in one row.
  3. Add an additional row for the Section 121 exclusion.
  4. In the Adj Code column, select H Sold or exchanged main home at a gain from the drop-down list.
  5. In the Adj to Gain / Loss column, enter the amount that you calculated for the Section 121 exclusion.
  6. Review Form 8949 and Schedule D for accuracy, and make any adjustments in the Capital gains (losses) statement, if needed.

Share This