No Social Security number for a child who was born and died during the year

Alerts and notices
Leave feedback

Contact information (optional):

Leave this blank:

Please tell us how we can make this information more helpful.

Characters left:

What do I do for a child that was born and died during the year and the taxpayer did not receive a Social Security number for the child?

In the Dependents statement dialog in Screen 1040, enter D in the SSN column and "DIED" displays as prescribed by the IRS. This meets the Social Security number requirement for purposes of the exemption amount, Child Tax credit, Schedule EIC, and Child and Dependent Care credit.

Note: Dependents with "DIED" as the SSN do not proforma to the following year.

Share This