1120-US ELF: Amended or superseding returns (FAQ)

Show expandable text

New (tax) year, new help!

Fixed Assets and UltraTax CS 2023 help is now on Help and Support. We're still moving articles, but you can find most content for the 2023 tax year there. Continue using the Help & How-To Center for tax years 2022 and older.


Should I file an amended or superseding return?


According to IRS Publication 4163, “A superseding return is a return filed subsequent to the originally filed return but filed within the filing period, including extensions.” A superseding return is considered the original filing, because the return takes the place of any other return previously filed during the filing period, including extensions. If you are filing a subsequent return after the filing period, including extensions, you would have to file an amended return.

Note: A superseding return does not replace any previous electronic funds withdrawal payment requests. If a payment request is present in both the original and the superseding return, that amount will be withdrawn from the account twice.

An amended return is a subsequent return filed after the expiration of the filing period (including valid extensions). Amended returns are included in the electronic file.

Note: If you were mandated to electronically file the original return, you are also mandated to electronically file the amended or superseding return. This applies to the current and two prior tax years.

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for the feedback!