1065-US: Disposing of an asset with a section 179 expense deduction (FAQ)

Show expandable text


When I dispose of an asset with a section 179 expense deduction, why isn't the disposition included on Form 4684, 4797, 6252, or 8824?


The instructions for Form 4797 state, "Partnerships and S corporations do not report these transactions [dispositions by a partnership of section 179 property] on Forms 4797, 4684, 6252, or 8824. Instead, they provide their partners and shareholders the information they need to report the transactions. See the instructions for Form 1065 or Form 1120-S for details on the information that must be reported on Schedule K-1."

The instructions for Form 1065, Page 1, line 6 state, "Partnerships should not use Form 4797 to report the sale or other disposition of property if a section 179 expense deduction was previously passed through to any of its partners for that property. Instead, report it in box 20 of Schedule K-1 using code L. See the instructions for Dispositions of property with section 179 deductions (code L), later, for details."

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for the feedback!