1040-US: Estimate payments amounts have changed after the return was submitted with electronic funds withdrawal information

Show expandable text

New (tax) year, new help!

Fixed Assets and UltraTax CS 2023 help is now on Help and Support. We're still moving articles, but you can find most content for the 2023 tax year there. Continue using the Help & How-To Center for tax years 2022 and older.


My client set up electronic funds withdrawal for estimated tax payments with their tax return. The estimate amounts have been revised. How can I change the direct debit amount?


The IRS accepts EFW payment information only when submitted with an electronically filed tax return or extension. If the bank account or estimate amounts change, you must cancel the payment and choose another payment method. For information about cancelling the payment, see the Cancellation, Errors and Questions section of the Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal page.

Related topics

Estimated taxes FAQs (1040)

1040 / 1120 / 1065 / 1041 / 990-ELF: Cancel or change Electronic Funds Withdrawal

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for the feedback!