- Alerts and notices
Check out the trending topics below or search for an answer.
- Getting started
- Contact us
- Leave feedback
Internal Employees: Submit feedback using the new SharePoint request form
Use the Staff screen to track firm employee information such as identification, rates, security permissions, contact information, and so on. The firm administrator should initially set up each staff’s information, including security permissions for the application.
To open the Staff screen, choose Setup > Staff. You can also open the Staff screen by right-clicking any staff information drop-down list.
- The Staff screen is a user-defined terminology screen. Your firm may refer to it by a different name. You can view the default names for user-defined items by choosing Help > Enable Default Terminology (or by pressing CTRL+Shift+H).
- Only staff with security permission will be able to view professional data such as billing rates or cost in the application.
- If you do not have security permission from your firm administrator for this screen, it will be unavailable.
Staff selection list
To select a staff member, click their name in the Staff selection list.
Note: To move the Staff selection list to a different part of your screen, choose View > List Pane and then Left, Right, Top, or Bottom.
To search for specific staff members or staff information, or to narrow down the list of staff, use the Search and Filter fields at the top of the screen.
- Click the Down arrow button in the Search field to specify your search criteria. You can restrict your search to specific fields and choose from a variety of search methods. See Using the search feature for more information.
- Select a filter from the Filter field, or click the More button and create a filter using criteria that you specify. See Filtering your data for more information.
Use this tab to enter staff identification information, track educational requirements, assign the staff member to groups, set up user preferences, and include a staff photo. See Entering staff identification information for details.
If you are licensed for NetFirm CS, you can also enable Mobile CS access for the selected staff member. Mobile CS is a mobile app that lets you access Practice CS firm, staff, and client data on your Apple iOS devices. For more information, see Mobile CS overview, or visit the CS Professional Suite Products & Services section of our website at Tax.ThomsonReuters.com.
This tab includes staff personal contact information such as address and phone number. It can also be used to set up additional contacts such as a spouse or an emergency contact. See Entering staff contact information for details.
Use the Benefits tab to activate staff benefits and enter effective dates for the benefits.
Note: This tab is available only if your firm is licensed for the Staff Management module.
Use the Skill Set tab to describe a staff member’s proficiency with various types of work performed by your firm. Defining skill sets will help you assign work items to the staff members who are best qualified to perform them based on their skill areas and skill ratings.
Use the Rates tab to set up billing and cost rates for staff. The Rate Table shows the current staff’s cost and billing rate(s) as of the date shown in the Effective date field.
Note: Staff members are not required to have rates set up; however, they must have a rate set up in order to enter time in the application.
Note: This tab is available only if your firm is licensed for the Staff Management module and if you have sufficient security privileges to edit or view target hours.
Use the Targets tab to enter staff target work hours. You can:
- Set different targets for different times of year
- Specify the percentage of hours that should be billable
- Establish a total billable amount target for the staff member
The Member of groups list contains all security groups. When you mark the checkbox for a security group, the staff member will receive all security permissions assigned to that group. There is no limit to the number of groups a staff member can belong to. If no security groups are selected, the staff member will not be able to log in to the application. The Privileges tree shows all permissions assigned to the selected groups.
Click the Reset Password button to reset a staff member’s password. The next time the staff member opens Practice CS, he or she will be prompted to enter a new password.
Note: The Security tab allows you to add, edit, or delete security groups on the fly. Right-click in the list of groups and choose the appropriate command from the context menu.
Information on this tab comes from custom fields you have set up in the Staff Custom Fields screen. To add or edit custom fields, choose Setup > Custom Fields > Staff.
The Notes field lets you enter any information you would like to track for the selected staff member.
Related topic: Setting up staff